Saturday, December 25, 2010

Carbon Monoxide Hazardous Gases in the Home

By Jesus Lawson

It's been mentioned many times over how carbon monoxide presents a huge danger to the family's health and safety. As long as fossil fuels continue to be in use, the adage of being careful cannot be emphasized enough. Let's face it, carbon monoxide gas will always be present as long as we continue to use our automobiles, heating equipments, and other household appliances.

Carbon monoxide, also known chemically as CO, is odorless, tasteless, and colorless. These characteristics make this gas very difficult to detect. Prolonged exposure to the gas while awake is already bad enough but its effects are worse while sleeping. It has the dangerous capability to kill a person while sleeping. Other than death, the early symptoms of poisoning range between headaches, nausea, dizziness, or shortness of breath.

The effects of carbon monoxide are indeed enough to kill a person. But the same effects can be prevented as long as some basic guidelines are observed. For example, cars should be either shut off or parked outside while running. Leaving the engine running while inside the garage is a recipe for disaster due to the amount of exhaust fumes being generated, and yes, that's carbon monoxide that's coming out as well. Avoid using a generator inside the house or in any other location where the air can't be vented freely.

Indoor hazards of carbon monoxide shouldn't be discounted either. Make sure that any household appliance that uses fossil fuel or gas is kept in good condition to prevent potential leakage. They should be maintained in good order through regular checkups and inspections by qualified professionals.

For those who are starting the construction of a new home or doing some major renovations, it would be wise to take note of a number of important details. This would include the proper setup of air passageways, installation of gas detection devices, as well as heating and ventilation systems. This will ensure that any potential hazards from gas leaks are avoided right on the get-go.

Bridgeville residents have made the effort to utilize the widespread use of gas detection sensors in the home and workplace. What is the main reason? It's simply to secure themselves from the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning. Having these devices as a part of the overall home security system is a good idea to emulate.

On a side note, there are other potentially dangerous gases present in the home besides carbon monoxide. Some of these are actually combustible and can be just as much of a problem as carbon monoxide. Regular or annual plumbing reviews by trained experts will keep the home safe from these threats. Modern gas detectors in the market are now available with features that can detect carbon monoxide and a host of other harmful gases in the home so choose one that fits the budget.

In closing, hazardous gases are a very real part of modern life. It's just a matter of keeping the family protected and relatively safe from the threats these gases pose. Common sense, basic know-how and preventive maintenance of the home can assure that the family is in good hands for the years to come.

About the Author:

No comments:

Post a Comment